What knives to choose kitchen 10 secrets of selecting kitchen knives
10 rules choosing kitchen knives
No kitchen can do without knives. Even the most modern. And even with a dozen of the best food processors. But that knives served for a long time, their choice should be approached carefully and with knowledge of the matter.
We choose kitchen knives competently ...
Types of kitchen knives that are always needed
One knife for the kitchen is not enough. It is possible to do in a campaign one penchnym, and in the kitchen for each "ritual" action - your knife. Understand their purpose - what knives are useful in the kitchen?
- Knife for bread/loaves: long blade (serrated, wavy), width equal throughout, large arm.
- Kitchen trio: long knives (25 to 45 cm), wide blade, sharp tip, always rounded cutting surface. Purpose – cutting products with a strong structure.
- Knife for cleaning of vegetables/fruits: shortened blade, sharp tip, just a flat cutting surface, a large comfortable handle. Or a knife with a blade between 2 holders with the presence of holes in the "body" (potatoes, carrots, etc.).
- Knife for removing meat from bones: narrow, medium length, blade angled to the tip, at the base enlarged, the cutting surface has serrated smooth.
- Knife for slicing sausages and cheese: long blade (wide enough), cutting surface without any bends.
- Knife fish: flexible blade is of equal width at all sections, long, notches.
- Table knives (oil, paste): the blade is of medium length, broad, tip rounded.
- Mushroom knife: short, plastic, a hard brush on the handle for cleaning hats.
- Knife-hatchet: for cutting meat, chopping bones. The wide blade, powerful arm.
Metal or ceramic knives?
Ceramic and metal knives are not interchangeable. Despite the general purpose, the difference in knives is significant. Everyone knows about the advantages / disadvantages of metal knives, that's why we understand the peculiarities of ceramic knives ...
- The composition of the ceramic blade – Zirconia (very hard material). If the sharpness of the metal blade after sharpening lasts for a month, then ceramic, this term should be multiplied by 10. Although properly operated knife sharpening is not needed at all.
- Ceramic material is not porous. Accordingly, the taste of one product to another. After cutting hot peppers and garlic, just enough to rinse the blade and you can continue working.
- The density structure of the ceramic knife and minimum porosity ensures the hygiene of the device and facilitates its cleaning.
- Ceramic knife is lighter than metal. Therefore, the load on the hand and shoulder.
- Ceramic knife will not rust. does not oxidize, is non magnetic and resistant to scratches.
- The fragility. Slice ceramic knife bone and frozen meat you won't have it for such purposes is not intended. If you fall on the floor metal the blade may bend, the ceramic will break off the tip.
- Ceramic knife is not universal (it is suitable only for individual actions in the kitchen).
- The cost of a ceramic knife above priceson the metal.
- Sharpening ceramic knives by yourself is not recommended .
10 rules choosing kitchen knives
Choosing the knives in the kitchen, pay attention to the following points:
- The quality of the blade. The best chef knives are made of stainless steel, adding chromium for hardness. Or use chromium, which is alloyed with vanadium and molybdenum to reduce brittleness. Forged blades are the best and most durable.
- Sharpening (efficiency knife-edge). If you look at the knife from the side you notice that the cutting surface resembles a traveling wave (with the exception of the bread knife) and slightly expanded toward the tip, then you can return the instrument to the shelf. No dents/chips on the cutting surface should not be. The best option is a brilliant unbroken line from the handle to the tip. Ideally, if the cutting part is impossible to discern. And one more thing: the cutting surface of the knife of the highest quality is always bilateral.
- Arm. Wood: easy for hands, not heated, but over time it loses its appearance – wears away and becomes cracked, which, in turn, clogged with fat. The habit of leaving a knife in the sink also contributes to the extension of its service life. Plastic handle: strong and durable material that does not deteriorate with prolonged contact with water, but to determine the hidden length of the steel blade, alas, is impossible. As for the canvas (note to self) must get to the end of the handle, otherwise with time it will get loose and will just fall out. Metal handle is durable, will get loose, will not break and will not crack.
- The surface of the blade. It should be no scratches, stains, different roughness and indent. That is, the composition of the material must be homogeneous.
- The method of sharpening the blade. Laser sharpening (matte risks-notches – hallmark) – the best option. More expensive, but does not require sharpening and durable. The blade of this knife is a hardened metal with the usual metal inside (when grinding hardened sites exposed normal metal, and it is possible to observe the effect of self-sharpening).
- The fastening of the blade. The knife blade should extend along the entire length of the grip is not half and not 2/3 of the handle. Polished rivets on the handle must be firmly against the base and doesn't stick out of the slots. Molded plastic handle without rivets – bad option.
- The cost. Price-quality knife can not be low. It would be naive to hope for longevity and super-properties of the knife, bought at the price of a loaf of bread.
- Access to the knife. Quality knife you can always pull out of the packaging, twist in hands and to estimate its "touch". To buy a knife in a package that cannot be opened is not recommended.
- Convenience. Check the weight of the knife and feel in the hand – not whether the handle outweighs the blade itself, not too heavy knife, how comfortable for the palm of the thickness of the pen.
- The sharpness of the blade. If you say that this beautiful knife can be sharpened at home for themselves, feel free to look for another device. Cutting properties will depend on the sharpening angle. Brand quality knives are sharpened on professional equipment, and at home, it is simply impossible to do.
A rating of the best manufacturers of knives
It is clear that the knife, for example, "Solingen" is always better than any knife unknown firm of local beer, bought on the street around the corner. So the focus is on the manufacturer. And we'll show you knives which companies are recognised as the best.
- Wusthof Dreizack, Solingen, Germany. Heat-treated carbon steel of the highest quality, hand sharpened lower edge, corrosion resistance metal.
- Zwilling J. A. Henckels, Solingen, Germany. High strength blades, hand sharpening, absolute resistance to corrosion, the blade from a single piece of steel.
- Victorinox Schwyz, Switzerland. Steel with carbon, silicon, chromium, manganese and molybdenum, does not rust, hardness of RC 56.
- Sabatier, Thiers, France. Stainless steel, thin handle, round base.
- Dick, Deizisau, Germany. Stainless steel of high quality.
- GLOBAL, Japan. Molybdenum vanadium steel CROMOVA. Cold hardening. The resistance to corrosion. A long service life.
- Arcos, Spain. High quality, long service life, beautiful appearance.
- Del Ben, Italy. Stainless steel high quality, manual processing at the "end" of the handle of the valuable tree species, chic design.
- Evercut, France. Exquisite design, high quality, durability, style.
How to store knives in the kitchen right?
Experience is the son of difficult mistakes. Not all owners know that compliance with the rules for storing knives can significantly extend, both their life time and cutting properties. Remember ...
- Keep knives on a magnetic holder or on a special stand.
- Protect the blades from friction/bumps each other and other metal objects.
- Do not use cutting boards of glass and stone, the ideal option boards of wood and plastic.
- Ceramic knives are stored in sheaths of paper and hiding from the sun.
- Never leave knives in water – wipe dry immediately after washing. Especially after cutting the lemon and onions.
- Professional wash your knives by hand, if you are using dishwasher kitchen knives tupyatsya multiples faster.
- Do not use hot water to wash knives made of carbon steel.
- Do not heat knives.
- Regularly edit soft knives musalim.
- Use knives only for its intended purpose.
And the last tip – do not skimp on knives. A good knife is not only fast work in the kitchen, but the pleasure of this work.
What are the knives in the kitchen do You use?
It's written either as a copywriter or as an uninformed person in knives at all! It's written that a quality knife should be sharpened with a two-sided grip! It's stupid to be stupid! But what about the Japanese knives of the highest quality of stainless steel khoniaks with straight strips or aogs with one-sided sharpening 500 dollars apiece? They are not high quality or what? And even a pearl in the article that a metal knife at home can not be sharpened like at a factory! I'm here to sharpen a Japanese knife of Yanagiba with a one-sided sharpening of steel from the mountains wide of the mountains to better than the factory 30 minut.Nozh on hair weight rezhet.Vidno site owners strongly sekonomili on kopitraytere pishushih nonsense.
About the sharpening agrees. Andrei, what do you sharpen a knife for as long as half an hour? It is a bit long somehow! I took a meat grinder electric cheap itself, prisobachil disk and now dull bluntly in the kitchen MILK! 2 minutes and the knife is perfectly sharp!