Fontanel in children: the Fontanelle is closed when the child
When overgrown Fontanelle in children and what he can tell?
All parents are concerned about those tender patches on the baby's head, which are called fontanel. How much does the fontanel have? What are they? When are they overgrown and what can they tell about?
How many fontanelles in children: large, small fontanel in a child
Just got a new baby on the head 6 fontanelles. of which 5 closed for childbirth or, in some cases, by the end of the 1st-3D month after birth – 4 small temporal and one occipital. Large frontal Fontanelle delayed the longest.
What you need to know about the fontanelles?
- Fontanel is called the "gap" between several skull bones . covered by connective tissue, which, in turn, gradually ossified and contributes to the closure of the Fontanelle.
- The key role of the fontanelles – "the elasticity" and the elasticity of the skull during childbirth and during the first years after them.
- The large open Fontanelle promotes a kind of protection of the skull . elastic deformation of the skull upon impact, protects the baby from serious injuries due to the quenching of the kinetic energy of impact.
The size of the Fontanelle in a child
The closure of large Fontanelle monitored by the pediatrician at each visit. Why you need such control? The condition of the fontanel can be a serious signal about any illnesses or changes in the child's body, therefore, protrusion and retraction, as well as early closure or, alternatively, later, you may talk about the necessity of examination and treatment.
So, what are the standards sizes and timing of the closing of fontanelles?
- The formula for calculating the size of the Fontanelle . which is used by doctors as follows: transverse diameter of the spring (cm) longitudinal (cm)/ 2.
- The average R-R small Fontanelle (in the back of the head, in the form of a triangle) is equal to 0.5-0.7 cm. Its closure takes place at 1-3 months after birth.
- The average R-R large Fontanelle (the top of his head, diamond form) – 2.1 cm (according to formula). Variation of 0.6-3.6 cm. Closure – in 3-24 months.
Truth and myths about Fontanelle in children: what can tell fontanel in children really?
Regarding the timing of a tightening of fontanelles and their status the people there is a lot of controversy, misconceptions and myths. What parents should know?
- There are no hard rules the size of the Fontanelle. Size is an individual matter, the normal range is 0.6 – 3.6 cm.
- The size of a large fontanel may increase during the first months of life due to rapid brain development.
- Closure of the Fontanelle as an individual. as first steps, teeth and the first "Mama, Papa".
- The size of the fontanel has nothing to do with the timing of its closure.
- Bone growth of the skull occurs due to the expansion of the edges of the skull on the parts of the joints and increase of the cranial bones in the Central part. The seam in the center of the forehead is closed in 2 years (on average), while the remaining up to 20 remain open, which occurs due to the growth of the skull to its natural adult size.
- To speed up the tightening spring vitamin D with calcium able only in case of their deficiency.
- Cancellation of vitamin D because of the fear that "the fontanel closes too fast" is, in most cases, a wrong decision of the parents. Time tightening the spring – 3-24 months. That is, about the tightening of the question. But the cancellation of the vitamin D – more serious threat to the health of the baby.
- Careful palpation of the Fontanelle (on the outside it looks diamond-shaped pulsating area – slightly sunken or convex) can't hurt the baby it is much stronger than parents think .
- Later close and too large Fontanelle may be signs of rickets, congenital hypothyroidism (the deterioration of the thyroid gland), chondrodysplasia (a rare disease of the bone), chromosomal diseases, congenital diseases of the skeleton.
- Early closure (previously 3 months) spring, in combination with the insufficient size of the Fontanelle size and head circumference, lagging behind the norm, may indicate diseases of the skeletal system and abnormal brain development.
- Have a healthy baby, the location of the spring slightly higher or lower than the bones of the skull that surrounds it. And there is a visible pulsation of the Fontanelle. When a strong retraction or bulging of the Fontanelle should consult a doctor for possible diseases.
- The fallen fontanel is often a consequence of dehydration. In this case the kid shows excessive drinking, and an urgent consultation of the doctor.
- When protruding the fontanel also the required medical examination. The cause may be a disease accompanied by elevated intracranial pressure (tumor, meningitis and other serious diseases). The combination of bulging Fontanelle with symptoms such as high fever, vomiting, head injury, fainting, sudden drowsiness, convulsions or other unexpected symptoms, you should immediately call a doctor.
With regard to the care of spring –special protection it is not required . To wash this part of the head while bathing a newborn can also be completely calm, after which it is not possible to wipe it, but it is easy to get wet with a towel.
At us too the doctor on each survey was probed by a fontanel. To be honest, before reading this article did not even know that the fontanel in the child a few. I thought there was only one (ahead). We have a fontanel completely closed, when my daughter was about a year old. The doctor said that everything is fine, well, before saying that he overgrows it is normal, so I never even worried about the fontanelle, though I tried when my baby's head, then clean it at this place neatly (and also when combing out yellow crust).
My daughter is one and a half year old and the fontanel has not yet closed. There is still a little more. At birth was a large 2.5 cm. When a year passed all the specialists, the doctors were surprised: how, you have not yet closed the fontanel? I do not worry about it yet. My friend's daughter is 1.8 years old and has not yet closed. Their development is good, their legs are straight, not rickety.