When the child himself will be there – how to teach children to self-feed with spoon?
How to teach a child from there independently – instructions for parents
Every crumb grows up in its own way and in due time. It seems that yesterday he did not let out a bottle of ladies, but today he already deftly uses a spoon, and does not even spill a drop. Of course, for each mother this stage is important and complex.
And so that it has passed with "less losses", it is necessary to remember the main points of lessons on independent food intake.
When the child can independently eat with a spoon?
Clearly determine the age when the baby is ready to take a spoon in their own hands, it is difficult. One demandingly grabs the spoon at 6 months, the other and at 2 years refuses to take it. Sometimes the training is delayed and up to 3-4 years - all individually.
Of course, it is not worthwhile to drag with training - the sooner the baby starts eating, the easier it will be for the mother, and the easier it will be for the child in the kindergarten.
Experts recommend to train a child to spoon already with 9-10 months. to one and a half years kid handled Cutlery.
Make sure that your baby is "ripe" for a spoon and a cup. Only if it is ready, you can start training.
Focus on the child's behavior . If the child is already enough pieces of food and pulls them into his mouth, takes a spoon from her mother and tries to shove it in his mouth, was interested in food in principle, and has a good appetite, don't miss a moment! Yes, mom will feed faster, and have no desire 3-4 times a day to clean the kitchen, but it is better to go through this stage at once (it will still have to pass, but then it will be harder).
How to teach a child to eat himself – acting on the instructions!
No matter how expensive your time is, no matter how much you want to keep the kitchen clean - do not miss the moment!
If a crumb requires a spoon - give it a spoon. And further - follow the instructions.
Useful tips — things to remember your parents?
- Be patient — the process will be difficult. Moscow was not built, and filled with a spoon never the kid with the 1st times in my mouth misses the training will take from one month to six months.
- Practice not only in the kitchen. In the sandbox, too, can learn: mastering the game with a shovel, a baby quickly learns to wield and spoon. Feed the birds with plastic sand, this game will help in the coordination of movements in the kitchen.
- Don't leave the child with a plate full alone. First, it is dangerous (can cause choking), and second, from weakness or fatigue baby is sure to zakapriznichal, and thirdly, it will still need to Supplement, even if 3-4 tablespoons of it will carry to the mouth itself.
- To start learning choose the kind of food. which the consistency is easy to scoop up and "transport" in the mouth. Of course, the soup does not suit you — baby just be hungry. But cottage cheese, mashed potatoes or porridge. And put immediately the entire portion — little by little, gradually placing in a bowl as it is emptied. Food pieces also do not put, because it can and hands to take.
- Along with spoon and fork accustom to. Of course, safe fork. Usually, kids are easier to deal with forks. But in this case, don't forget to change the contents of the dish (porridge with a fork and not wearing).
- If you started the process and decided to bring it to an end — that is, to teach the child is independently — explain to other family members. they also have to stick to your principles of teaching. Wrong, when a mother teaches a baby to eat on their own, and the grandmother principle (though with love) feeds him with a spoon.
- Feed my child on schedule and daily practice skills.
- If the child is fussy and refuses to eat itself. don't torture him — feed with a spoon, lay aside the training for the evening (morning).
- Dine with the whole family. You should not feed the child separately. The rule of "collective" always fires. That is why in kindergarten, children quickly learn to eat, dress and walk to the potty alone — triggered the rule. If you eat the whole family at one table, a child will begin to imitate you.
- Invent fun games. that the baby was the motivation to feed herself.
- Start self-feeding with only your favorite food crumbs, and only when he is hungry. Remember, he was tired to work with a spoon, and decarbonate kid themselves when he gets nervous.
- Necessarily praise the child for his efforts. Even the smallest. Baby will be happy to please you again and again.
- Create child environment that is conducive to eating. Choose a beautiful dish, lay a beautiful tablecloth, decorate the dish.
Instruction for independent meal — where to start?
- Beautiful table covered with oilcloth and tie baby bib.
- Take a little bit of porridge from his plate and pointedly "with gusto" eat. Don't forget to portray the ecstasy, the child is interested.
- Then hand the spoon to the baby. If you hold the spoon does not work — help. You have to hold the spoon in the palm of your hand, scoop up the gruel from the dish and bring to mouth.
- Help until the child will not be able to hold the device independently.
- It does not matter if the child at first will just knead the porridge in a bowl with a spoon and smear it on the face, the table, etc. Give Chad freedom — let him get used to it. You can put a plate with a suction Cup, if the child constantly turns.
- Until a child learns to eat by himself, help him another spoonful. That is, one spoon for him, one you.
- Put a spoon in the hand of the child. It is wrong to keep her in the fist, teach your baby to hold the spoon with your fingers to make it easy to carry to the mouth.
The same principle use accustoming the child to the Cup-pot, fork, etc. Start with small portions, just in the interest of the baby and without hysteria about stained sofas, clothing and carpets.
How to interest a toddler — need to encourage independence
- Plate. Choose it from a safe, food-grade heat resistant plastic. Preferably, those companies that can be trusted. The color palette should be bright that the little one enjoyed digging under the mess of favorite cartoon characters. We recommend you to choose a plate with a sloping bottom for easy scoop up food, sufficient depth and with suction Cup for Desk.
- Cup-pot. It is also selected solely from safe materials. Better to take a Cup with 2 handles that the child was comfortable to hold. The spout should be silicone or soft plastic (no burrs!), so as not to injure the gums. Well, if the Cup is rubber feet for stability.
- Spoon. It should be of safe plastic material, anatomical shape, rounded and non-slip handle.
- Fork. Also from safe plastic, kidney shaped, with rounded teeth.
- Do not forget a comfortable chair . Not detached and with its own table and such, so baby sat at the table with the whole family.
- You should also buy waterproof bibs — preferably bright, with cartoon characters that the child did not resist when equipped (alas, many kids perceive feeding as flogging, bibs tear immediately after donning). Better if the bibs are made from soft and flexible plastic with a slightly up curved hem.
The child refuses to eat on their own – what to do?
If your child stubbornly refuses to take a spoon, do not panic or insist - everything has its time. Your persistence will only lead to the formation of a negative attitude toward the process of eating.
- Leave the kid alone and keep trying in a few days .
- If possible, call for help brothers/sisters or friends kid (the neighborhood kids).
- Organized children's party can help you in developing skills.
Of course, to relax is not necessary: this skill is extremely important, and to postpone the training for a long time is not necessary.
Teach a child from eater – the basic rules of cleanliness and security at the table
It is clear that to expect from the child of elegance and aristocracy during the training is not worth it.
But if you want to teach him how to eat neatly, safety rules and food culture should act from the beginning and continuously.
- A personal example is the most important. Teach the child by example — how to hold a spoon, how to eat, how to use a napkin, etc.
- Wash your hands before eating. This should become a habit.
- Do not eat in the room — only in the kitchen (dining room) at one table and strictly at certain times. Diet is extremely important for the baby's health, his appetite and calm his nervous system.
- No TV during dinner. Cartoons will have to wait! Active games — too. During lunch is unacceptable to escape, to indulge, to laugh, to misbehave.
- Useful rituals. Teach your baby to them from the beginning: first scented soap washed hands and then my mother puts the crumbs on the chair, wears the bib, puts on the table the crockery, lays the napkin, put a plate of porridge. And, of course, all of these actions, the mother is accompanied by commentary, songs and gentle explanations.
- Be sure to decorate the table. From the cradle accustom the child to the fact that you need to eat not only delicious, but also beautiful. Serving and decoration of dishes — one of the secrets of increasing appetite and mood. Beautiful tablecloth, napkins in the napkin holder, bread in a basket, beautifully presented dish.
- In a good mood. Worthless to sit at the table angry, angry, naughty. Lunch must take place in the family circle, as a good tradition.
- Don't raise the food that fell. Dropped the dog. Or cat. But not back into the bowl.
- As they grow, and addiction to self-reliance expand the range of appliances and utensils. what do you use. If in 10-12 months enough plates and sippy Cup, then 2 years the child should be and fork, the plate under the dessert, soup and under the second, a regular Cup (not a bowl), a tea and a soup spoon, etc.
- Accuracy. Teach him to sit at a clean Desk, neatly eating, using a napkin, playing with food, don't swing on the chair, sit straight and take your elbows off the table, not to climb with a spoon in the cookie jar.
How not to teach a child to eat – the main taboo for parents
Getting to the lessons of independence, parents sometimes make a lot of mistakes.
Avoid them, and the process will go more smoothly, easily and quickly!
- Not in a hurry. Don't rush a child — "eat faster", "I still have to wash the dishes" and other phrases. First, there is quickly is harmful, and secondly, the process of eating is still communicating with the mother.
- Do not stray off course. If you have started to accustom to the spoon/Cup and continue. Don't let yourself stray from the course because of lack of time, laziness, etc. This applies to all family members.
- Do not force the child to take the spoon. if he doesn't want to take it, won't eat, is sick.
- Do not swear, if the little one is too dirty. smeared mess all around, including the dog, and the new tee shirt stained so that the wash won't budge. It is temporary, it will have to go through. Lay the cloth, remove the carpet from the floor, wear baby clothes, you do not mind dirty juices and soup. But in any case do not show the baby his irritation — he may get scared, and the learning process will grind to a halt.
- Do not turn on the TV during lunch. Cartoons and transfer distract from the process on which the child should focus on.
- Do not put the baby's portion, which he was afraid of its volume. Put on a little bit. It is better to put an additive when the child asks.
- Do not indulge the whims. Of course, better to start with the food that baby loves, but subsequently do not give in to "blackmail." If a baby who has learned how to work the spoon, refuses cereals and requires a "dessert" in exchange for what he will eat itself, just remove the plate — he is not hungry.
- Do not force your baby to eat the whole thing. In spite of the established age-related "norms", every child knows himself when he ate. Overeating is no good does not.
- Do not change the rules of nutrition. As you eat at home and eat in the hotel, the trip, grandma, etc. If guests are allowed to eat when you have and that you have to, then why should home be any different? If the house is "elbows on the table" and watery on the cloth mouth — Norma, why you? Be consistent in their demands.
Well, and most importantly -don't panic if the process is delayed. Sooner or later the kid will still master this complex cutlery.
It can not be in any other way.
We will be very pleased if you share your experience accustom the child to independent eating.
The eldest child began to eat very early. Six months ate cereal with a spoon in my submission, in 8 months, had begun. Finally mastered the spoon and Cup-to-year. While my younger daughter with a bottle of broke up only to 4 years. Then another 2 unlearn drinkers. The spoon itself took a year, only 2nd start cracking on their own. Everyone has their own "time".
With her son made mistakes - she fed herself to the limit. While he just did not start taking a spoon from me. Somewhere by 2 years. Well. was stupid. And there was no time to wash again, wash the table, etc. But my daughter was already sitting tightly in the decree, I did not need to work, and I spent all my time on her "independence". She began to eat with a spoon in 1.1 g. Herself. By the age of 2 and with a knife I already coped. True, with the children, but quite professionally.)) Of course, it's hard for moms, on whom too much hangs. Sometimes it's actually easier to feed yourself than wait for a child to eat, and then wash half of the kitchen and the baby itself. But on the other hand - it is necessary and important. At the girl-friend the youngest daughter absolutely unskillful was preschool age. Because my mother did everything for her. As a result, they simply did not take the garden, and the school had a lot of problems. The child was just wild. Now it is already easier, but all the same excessive care and mother laziness played a role.
And my son just said - "I myself!". And all.)) I took the spoon and began to crack, as if from the birth I ate myself. And why? But because I went to the kindergarten! And there all the kids in the manger themselves eat. No one will feed. So he had to. Life forced. So I advise mothers more often to feed their children with other people's children. If it does not become a shame that he does not eat, then at least the effect of the parrot will work.
Teaching is easy with a spoon! Do not feed between meals. And that's all. A hungry child begins to eat with a spoon himself and quickly. And if my mother begins to regret, lisp, feed is not on schedule - then you can and cheer. Want a real result? Put the child in such conditions, when he has no choice but to start eating himself. The method is spartan, but effective.