The length of the cervix during pregnancy – the table of rules on the weeks forecast
The norm length of the cervix in pregnancy – risks and treatment of short cervix
The cervix is not just the entrance to the uterine cavity. Elastic and elastic neck (cervical canal in it) protects the developing fetus from infections and, tightly closing, keeps it until the moment of birth. Normally, the cervix is closed, but softens and opens slightly by the 37th week, when the body is preparing the woman for delivery.
Short cervix – diagnosis and risks at different stages of pregnancy
Unfortunately, the pregnancy period does not always go smoothly and without problems. A very common reason for miscarriage and spontaneous abortion or premature birth is a pathologically short cervix, or isthmic-cervical insufficiency.
The reasons that cause this pathology –
- Progesterona failure.
- Injuries of the cervix after surgery on her, conization, abortions or previous childbirth.
- Changing the structure of the cervical tissue as a result of hormonal changes in the body.
- Psychogenic factors – fears and stress.
- Infectious and inflammatory diseases of the pelvic organs and directly of the uterus and cervix, which can lead to deformation and scarring.
- Changes caused by uterine bleeding.
- Individual anatomical and physiological features of an organism of the expectant mother.
Measuring the length of the cervix during pregnancy is very important, because it will allow to reveal the pathology in time and take measures to prevent miscarriage.
As a rule, ICN accurately diagnose in the second half of pregnancy, when the fetus is already big.
- On gynecological examination the expectant mother the midwife evaluates the condition of the cervix, the size of the external OS, the presence and nature of the discharge. Normal cervix in first weeks of pregnancy, dense, has a deviation posteriorly, the outer jaws closed and does not pass the finger.
- To diagnose pathologically shortened cervical ultrasonography is assigned (with vaginal sensor is in the early stages of pregnancy, transabdominal – in the second half of pregnancy). The study is servicemedia, i.e., the length measurement of the cervix. According to the data obtained, the question about the methods that will help preserve the pregnancy is the seam on the cervix or staging of obstetric pessary.
The length of the cervix during pregnancy – table of standards for weeks
The norm length of the cervix you can learn according to the table:
The results of the survey are estimated in this way (the points obtained are summed according to the characteristics):
- From 0 to 3 points – immature cervix
- From 4 to 6 points – the neck is not Mature enough, or maturing
- From 7 to 10 points – Mature cervix
To 37 weeks, the cervix was normal, immature, and Mature state changes before birth. It should be noted that the immaturity of the cervix in the last weeks of pregnancy Is a pathology opposite to the ICI, and it also needs to be observed and corrected, up to the choice of the method of delivery by Caesarean section.
If the length of the cervix is the end of normal . but there are signs of the onset of premature birth, it is necessary to perform another ultrasound. Which will help to accurately diagnose the ICI if it is available.
Shortening of the cervix before labor – what to do and how to treat?
Short cervix diagnosed in the period from 14 to 24 weeks, indicating a clear risk of premature birth and requires immediate correction.
- If in this period, the length of the cervix at least 1 cm . the child will be born in the 32nd week of pregnancy.
- If 1.5 to 1 cm . baby born at 33 weeks pregnant.
- Cervical length less than 2 cm indicates that childbirth can take place at 34 weeks of pregnancy.
- Cervical length from 2.5 cm to 2 cm – a sign that the child likely to be born in the 36th week of pregnancy.
If the expectant mother diagnosed with short cervix. then treatment will be offered, taking into account the degree of shortening and the gestation period:
- Conservative therapy drugs-localityname, progesterone . The treatment is performed in a hospital.
- Cerclage cervical . that is suturing. The stitches are removed before birth.
- Setting obstetric pessary – rubber masterbatch of the ring, unloading the cervix and resolves its tension.
The expectant mother can also recommend:
- Reduce physical activity. Avoid activities which increases the pressure on the abdomen.
- Renounce sexual activity right up until delivery.
- To take a natural sedative for example, tincture of motherwort or Valerian.
- To take prescription drugs antispasmodics for example, but-shpa, papaverine.
Shortening and softening of the cervix from 37 weeks is the norm, which does not require treatment and correction.