Professional ethics: what is it
Professional ethics is one of the branches of ethical science. However, in everyday life we use this concept in the meaning of certain "code of ethics" – a set of rules that guide members of certain professions. What really is ethics?
According to one definition, professional ethics are a set of rules of behavior of a particular social group. providing a moral character of the relationships conditioned or associated with professional activities.
Most often with the need to comply with rules of professional ethics faced by people employed in the service sector, medicine, education - in a word, everywhere, where daily work is connected with direct contact with other people and where high moral demands are made.
Professional ethics conceived on the basis of similar interests and requirements to the culture of the people United by one profession. Traditions of professional ethics evolve together with the development of the profession itself and in the principles and norms of professional ethics can be fixed at the legislative level or expressed through accepted norms of morality.
The concept of professional ethics is associated, first of all, with the peculiarities of one or another profession in relation to which this term is used. Thus, for example, the "Hippocratic oath" and medical secrecy are some of the elements of the professional ethics of doctors, and an impartial presentation of truthful facts is an element of professional journalism ethics.
Characteristics of professional ethics
In any profession, honest and responsible performance of their duties is one of the main rules of professional ethics. However, some special aspects of professional ethics may be by ignorance or negligence missed the novice expert – then an employee can be deemed unfit for his duties.
To avoid this, remember the basic rules and principles of professional ethics :
- their work should be done professionally, in strict conformity with the entrusted authorities
- the work cannot be guided by their personal likes and dislikes, always keep objectivity
- when dealing with personal data of clients or other persons, companies should always observe the strictest confidentiality;
- in their work it is impossible to prevent the occurrence of off-duty relationships with clients or colleagues, managers or subordinates
- should abide by the principle of collegiality and did not discuss their colleagues or subordinates in the presence of customers, partners or other persons
- it is impossible to prevent disruption of the already accepted order through the rejection of it in favor of another (more profitable) order
- unacceptable discrimination against customers, partners, colleagues or subordinates gender, race, age or any another basis.
Currently developing and improving professional standards, change social relations. And in this new picture of the world is more important than ever the ability to be respectful to nature and other people – the main advantage of professional ethics of any profession .