How to write a cover letter for resume
HR-managers of the Western companies never consider the candidates ' resumes for a position without a cover letter (cover letter). We practice writing cover letters has not yet caught on everywhere, but such a letter can be a significant bonus to your resume. The land of the Soviets tell how to write a cover letter.
What is a cover letter to a resume? Imagine that the resume is an advertising booklet that tells about your virtues. In this case, the cover letter is its cover that attracts attention to the content. Summary — a gift, a letter wrapper. Summary — brilliant, writing — frame. I think you get the gist. If you manage to write a correct cover letter, the employer is guaranteed to be interested in your summary .
Before you write a cover letter, you should familiarize yourself with its structure. A form letter consists of several parts .
- Treatment. Even if you send out your resume to different firms, "impersonal" cover letter ("to whom it may concern") are not welcome. Find out the name of the person who is responsible for recruitment in a particular company, and his position. Speak directly to him.
- Membership. Write what job you are applying for (in the firm may be a few vacancies, and HR-s not psychic) where you learned about it. Can still specify that you know about the company (not supposed to be blatant flattery).
- The main part. In it you should state why you are interested in this particular company and job opening. Briefly (but only briefly, it's not a resume and not an autobiography) tell us about your professional skills, experience and achievements. Convince the employer to read your resume and invite you for an interview. Only state the facts, not just Pat yourselves on the backs. The information in the letter should not duplicate information in the summary, and even less contradict them.
- Conclusion. At the end of the letter thank the employer for taking the time to read the letter, and inform about the availability of applications (this applies mainly to e-mail correspondence, when the summary is sent as an attached file).
- Signature. Be sure to sign full name and enter the letter your contacts. The more, the better: the employer will be able to contact you in any convenient way.
Good writing can play in your favor, and may discourage the employer to read your resume. So when writing you have to try. To write a cover letter, you need to follow a few simple rules .
First, be brief. Do not try to "get out" on the reader a lot of information: all the necessary information and so there is in the summary. The optimal size is approximately half the page in the A4 format (Times New Roman, 12 pins). This is about two paragraphs of the main text on 5 sentences in each.
In the second place, keep a neutral tone. No need to brag, to curry favor, to ask, to apologize, to demand. It's still business correspondence. and not personal. As for the creative approach and humor — you can use them if you need to write a cover letter for resume creative job where these qualities are valued.
Thirdly, avoid hackneyed formulaic phrases and be specific. Instead of qualities (sociability, creativity, initiative, etc.) it is better to indicate specific professional achievements. Concentrate on the merits that can be useful in the company where you want to work.
Fourth, focus on specific companies and jobs. No matter how you would like to send out the same template letter to all employers, take the trouble and write letters for specific vacancies and companies. So there is more chance that HR will be interested in your resume.
Fifth, before sending be sure to check the letter for mistakes — it is better not once. It is desirable to give to read to someone before sending — we ourselves sometimes can't notice its flaws. Carefully check whether you have written your name and the recipient's company name.
If you send a resume by email the cover letter is placed directly in the message body, and summary — as attached file. If only the company does not have its own requirements. Do not forget to fill in the "Message subject" field, for example "Resume is not a vacancy (job title)". You can add your surname and initials to the topic.
If you managed to properly write a cover letter for a good resume. You can be sure that you already have an invitation for an interview in your pocket!