Plants from the family selaginellaceae live in the subtropical and tropical forests. Some of them can be in the pitch dark, in the water, to live on trees, in the rocks, near rivers and even in the desert.
Their leaves are small, 0.5 cm, consisting of two rows with matt or glossy surfaces and having a variety of shapes.
The plains to which the Selaginella belongs, need special care. The most suitable place for them is florariums or greenhouses.
It is a perennial plant with straight, erect stems, the height of which is approximately 30 cm after some time, the fronds droop and they appear aerial roots.
The most attractive is the variegated appearance Iori, decorated with white specks.
Received a second name – "Jericho rose". It is a low groundcover plaun, which is a lump, tangled stems and roots. After watering it shoots (5-10 cm) are beginning to turn green, unusual to bend and curl. But according to the measure of drying the soil the plant becomes old. Selaginella sexuality, being an inhabitant of deserts, great drought, but it becomes brown. Place the plant in the aquarium with high humidity, and it will again become green.
Selaginella Krause or golden
This plant grows beautifully in the stones. Cultivate plawn is better in low and wide pots. His leaves are a miniature copy of wai ferns. You can make a beautiful composition by placing the plant in a wide vessel or florarium.
It is a beautiful ornamental plant, well established in places with artificial light, origin from the tropics. In the care of not whimsical. Well tolerates cool rooms, the temperature of the contents of +16 to +21 degrees. Light loves a moderate, without direct sunlight, watering regularly. If you keep the plant at home, you should regularly spray it.
Selaginella: home care
- The flower grows well in partial shade and even under artificial lighting. But the best option are the places, which decreases stray light. Protect. from the rays of the direct sun.
- Keep the room where the moss, there was no draft. Try to create conditions close to natural, and kept at temperatures 18 to 20° C.
- The mandatory factor is high humidity. To achieve this, the plants are sprayed with water or put the pot in pots with a wet expanded clay.
- Watering indoor ferns need abundant: in summer and in winter. It is impossible to allow complete drying of the substrate. Pour the settled water is better in the pan, after a time the remaining liquid to remove.
- To transplant the plant must be two years in a loose and absorbent substrate. Take the wide low bowl and don't forget to make good drainage.
To obtain an earth mix, peat, sheet hum, and sand in equal proportions will be needed.