How to make designs on copper with their hands
- copper detail that you'll apply the pattern
- a protective layer (it must be applied in order to separate the copper the space that you want to keep the picture from everything else. As it is in a shellac, nail Polish, acrylic paint – but whatever you choose, it should be liquid)
- something you can put a picture (remember that the pattern is applied precisely the material you chose as a protective layer). Very good pen with metal pen drawing ink
- The iron (III)chloride
- plastic tray (NOT tin or iron. Only plastic)
- rubber gloves
- wool or cotton pads.
Step by step instructions
- Put the gloves on.
- Prepare a copper piece that you want to apply the pattern. The protective layer is best rests on slightly uneven surface, so treat the item with a metal wire.
Etching continues from half an hour to 4 hours, depending on how deep you want to make patterns. To test this, stick to the back of the long strip of masking tape before you plunge it into the chloride, and from time to time remove.