Grow Phlox correctly
Phloxes are wonderful garden flowers that, with proper care and choice of soil, will not only delight you with intensive flowering from early spring to autumn. But to believe that this plant is unpretentious, erroneous. Particular attention should be given to the fertility of the soil and the lighting of the site, otherwise the idea to decorate your flower bed will not end with success.
Proper planting and reproduction
If you choose the correct landing site, then in the future they will not require special care efforts.
- Choice for flowerbeds should be quite wet, but without standing water. The fact is that apart from the main rhizome, Phlox are a lot of small adventitious roots that are not very deep in the ground. If ground water is closer than 15 centimeters from the surface, the plant will inevitably perish. So, if you don't have natural hills in the area, sprinkle a small mound manually. Try not to plant them near trees and shrubs with a wide surface root system. Flower will not be able to compete with stronger plant for light and moisture, and will inevitably die.
- The ground for posicionada absolutely any, the main thing to spring and autumn there is not stagnate water.
- Phlox will grow in a bright place with a darkening in the midday heat. In the shade they will bloom, but not too intense, but in the sun the flowers will last longer, but will be weaker and paler.
- Time for postcycle to choose in the spring (April and may) or early autumn (August-September). If you decide to plant them in the autumn, it is necessary to cut the stems by one-third.
To increase flower bed with Phlox can be any of the known methods of reproduction. It may be planting seeds with the subsequent imposition of seedlings in open ground, but in this case may not be preserved the signs of varieties.
To phloxes were beautiful, and many years have grown in your garden, it is better to choose breeding by stem or root cuttings, by dividing bushes or by axillary shoots.
Recommendations for the care and cultivation of Phlox
- feeding you need to make during the whole vegetation period. Then the bushes are lush, the flowers are large and bright. Is suitable for both mineral and organic fertilizers
- in a dry summer make sure to regularly water the flowerbed. The soil should always be moderately moist and loose.
- in winter, the Phlox need to hide only in case of lack of snow. Without it, the shoots will die in two weeks at a temperature of ten degrees, and the root system – at twenty.
- if you just started to grow these flowers, then the soil for planting prepare since autumn. Choosing a place and digging a shallow hole, fill it compost, mineral fertilizers and ash. In acidic soil you need to add lime and clay – sand.
- the flowers were large, periodically trim the bushes, leaving no more than six or seven shoots.
Diseases and pests of phlox
Compliance with UserProfile of cultivation and care will not allow disease and pests to the flower. But just one mistake can lead to the fact that the plant will get sick and die.
Powdery mildew, rust and white patchiness appear if phloxes grow in a too dark place and do not get enough nutrients.
The phloem stem nematode can manifest completely unexpectedly. These are tiny worms that live in the stem and roots and can not be seen with the naked eye. But if the top of the plant begins to turn yellow, and the leaves twist, this is a sure sign of the disease. Immediately remove the plant along with the ground and remove it from the site.