Crystal of salt at home
If you love experiments or want to spend time with your child interestingly and profitably, we offer an interesting idea on growing crystals at home. For an organic entry into the world of entertaining science, we have chosen a very interesting and safe topic. In this article you will find step by step instructions how to grow a crystal from salt, with step-by-step photos and videos.
- Food salt (sodium chloride)
- Two glass containers of the same size;
- A pan with a bottom area, containing working containers;
To the note: young and experimenters at the age should not try to grow "colored crystals of salt" with food and decoration colors like gouache or watercolors. Solution for growing crystals should be as clean as possible. That is why the optimal liquid for such an experiment is distilled water, so it is free of various salts and impurities.
How to grow a crystal at home - step by step instructions
- So, we're going to be dealing with saturated brine, all manipulations better to do with gloves, to avoid allergic reactions or irritation.
- In the glass container, to collect a small amount of water, it is better distilled, but in the absence of such, ordinary tap water will do likewise.
- In a pot to draw water, whose temperature should be around 50 – 60 degrees C°.
- Add the edible salt to the glass container, stir it.
Note! For purity of experiment to take the other (control) vessel, in which the working solution will not be filtered. At the bottom leave a salt residue.
Important: when storing the resulting crystals, it should be taken into account that moisture evaporates in the air and crystals are destroyed. To fix the results of the surface must be treated with varnish. According to the results of observations, the next day the changes in the two vessels are striking. In the working vessel with the filtered solution, the seed crystal did not change in size. In the control vessel, precipitation of salt flakes and crystallization of the salt precipitate occurred.
Our crystal of salt is ready!
Please note: in order to speed up the process, the working solution needs to be changed periodically. That is, again, prepare a saturated brine solution and place growing crystals there.
When working with crystals for a long time, it may be necessary to grow certain forms. For this, there are also special techniques and rules. Correct the growth can be, removing ugly growths with a knife, scraping off excess. The formation of faces can be prevented by treating the crystal plane with petroleum jelly. If necessary, further growth, remove Vaseline with acetone.