When and how to harvest apples
Even a gardener with experience can not always accurately determine when to harvest apples, since there is no single parameter that would determine the optimal degree of maturity of the fetus. Autumn harvest is mainly for storage, but not every apple is suitable for leavening: unripe contains less sugars, it is not tasty, and ripe for a long time does not rot, rot. Therefore, when harvesting these fruits, it is important to choose the right moment for maturity.
When picking apples: define the desired ripeness
Determine the ripeness of the fruit can be by some indicators.
- Dent makes people received at the pressure on Apple, disappears, it means to remove the fruits earlier
- If the skin breaks when pressed – the harvest is ripe
- The skin, which sags and is not aligned, indicating full ripeness of the fruit
- To the outside and taste characteristics. Medium size fruit should easily separate from the fruit branches, having light-colored skin, peculiar to a particular class, and dark-brown seeds. The taste of the flesh should be juicy, sweet or sweet and sour depending on the variety.
- Chemical method using a solution of iodine. In the solution for several minutes to lower the cut in half fruit:
- Bruised flesh will indicate the presence of starch, which a lot of green fruit
- The blue color on the edge, and the middle yellow indicates a ripening Apple
- The presence of yellowish-white pulp will signal that the harvest should be immediately removed
Experienced gardeners determine the ripeness of apples, suitable for storage, according to the fallow and, as they say, by eye. If large, beautiful fruits began to fall, it's time to harvest.
When you can gather summer, autumn and winter varieties
The duration of storage of apples directly depends on the correct determination of their removable maturity. By the time of maturation, these fruits are divided into 3 groups:
- Summer class starts arriving from Aug. By this time in the fruit accumulates the optimum amount of sugar, however, they will be stored up to a month, not longer. Therefore, some part of the crop goes for food and the remaining for processing (preparation of jams, juices, compotes)
- Collection autumn varieties is at the end of August. They are stored relatively longer, 3-4 months, but their flesh during storage becomes frustrating loose
- Winter varieties are the most maturation. Collect them beginning in late September. At accurate, timely collection and proper storage, they will lie until spring (February-April) or even until the next harvest. However, some varieties of apples immediately after harvest is not yet ready for use. They need some time to rest up, to accumulate the optimal amount of sugars. Only then they are especially tasty. If you try Antonovka, it at first seems sour. Only after some time, the fruits acquire their natural taste and aroma.
How to collect the apples from the tree
Harvest is desirable to collect on a dry and warm day, preferably in the second half. This is especially true for winter varieties. In the late autumn the air has time to warm up a little, and the fruits dry out. Usually on the southern side of the tree fruits ripen somewhat earlier, so you should start collecting it from it.
Sometimes summer or autumn varieties have to be removed after the rain. In this case, it is necessary to wait a while for the fruit to dry a little on the branch.
To start harvesting should be from the lower tier and gradually move to the top. Damaged or wormy fruit for storage is not suitable. It is not recommended to remove the apple and without the stalk, as this negatively affects the shelf life.
How to store a fresh harvest of apples, read here.