Josta unusual symbiosis of taste and health
The meaning of summer work is to create a stunning view of flower beds and the cultivation of trees and shrubs that delight owners with succulent fruits in exchange for quality care. Today's summer residents are slightly different from the Soviet. They rarely stop at cultivating traditional crops (pears, apple trees, plums, etc.), preferring them to new, unusual and experimental ones. Among these strange plants is a berry with an unusual name of joshta. The new culture has already secured the trust of thousands of gardeners, and wine and jam from yoshty has long occupied an honorable place on the shelves of storerooms.
Josta. What it is: photo
Before you start growing a plant, you need to read the description, its features and distinctive features. The same applies to the Yosht shrub. What is this we learn next.
Joshta is an interspecies hybrid of gooseberries and currants, which experienced breeders have been working on for over 100 years. For a long time, experiments did not yield positive results, but in the 70s, the yoshti shrub began to bear fruit for the first time. Today gardeners and truck farmers are more attracted by the absence of spikes on branches and uneven ripening of berries. Thanks to this, the harvest remains on the branches for a long time, does not decay and does not crumble into the open ground.
The yosht plant is powerful and sprawling, its flower is beautiful and large. The shoots reach 1.5-2 m in length. The leaves are shaped like currants, but are devoid of a specific spicy flavor. The berries are covered with dense skin, are painted in red-violet color. The berries of some varieties have a characteristic pattern left over from gooseberry. Flowers yoshty usually large, fruits large, oval.
The first harvest is observed at 4 years after landing. At one point Bush may bear fruit at least 15-20 years. In a good year with quality care from one Bush to collect about 10 kg of berries.
For more information about what a joshta is, see the video:
Josta: planting, care and propagation
Planting, care and reproduction of yoshty are similar in many respects to the cultivation of black currant and gooseberry. The basic information about this hybrid can be easily remembered, quickly mastered and implemented in the course of gardening.
- Jost landing to harvest produce in an open well-lit areas, on fertile sites of the soil.
- Planting shrubs can even in spring and autumn. But before planting, the material should be examined carefully for damage and remove suspicious places.
- The planting hole needs to fit specific parameters: depth – 40cm, width – 50 cm Step for planting bushes – 1.5-2 m In the pit to add humus, compost, wood ash, and the substrate.
- During planting the roots carefully spread and thoroughly covered with soil. In the end the soil is well tamped. After planting the stems are cut, leaving 3-4 buds on each.
- Yoshta fall pruning is not required. Enough to make sanitary cutting branches in the spring.
- To improve fertility Bush yoshta you can fertilize in early summer. As feed use diluted with water diluted mullein or bird droppings.
- Yoshta reproduction is done by cuttings, dividing the Bush, seeds, horizontal and arcuate layers.
Josta: diseases and pests
Gathering the harvest of berries yoshty, many gardeners think about the fact that the basket could be heavier. Unfortunately, sometimes we have to share with the hated parasites - mites, tortellites, aphids, etc. And despite the fact that the yoshta is a disease-resistant hybrid, some of the enemies still annoy him. In addition, the damage caused to bushes by insects is quite palpable: in the winter they spoil the root system, and in the summer they are sap from leaves and stems.
If you decide to grow josto, diseases and pests are worth exploring early on:
- Gray Bud weevils – pests that attack fruit and crops. The output observed in early spring. Insects feed on unopened buds and later on leaves and buds. Method of protection – spraying special chemicals.
- Sawflies – larvae naked with 10 pairs of legs. Adults are black in color. Insects overwinter in cocoons in the soil in early spring, pupate, and then go hunting. Females lay eggs in the bottom layer of the epidermis of the leaf. Born larvae eat the greenery, leaving only the veins. Method of protection – to collect manually, to shake off the branches, spray with biological products of entobacterin.
- Bud mite is a pest of the family of eriophyid, which is a parasite inside of leaves and buds. The damaged parts of the shrub acquire multi-colored. As a rule, a tick appears in early spring, and females remain in the soil for the winter. The parasite is carried by planting material, birds and people. Method of protection is to remove the damaged swollen buds, branches with a corrupted places to cut.
There are also other diseases and pests that plague yoshti shrubs, but they are rare in relation to gooseberries and currants.
Varieties of josta for the suburbs and middle band
The varieties of yoshty differ little among themselves. But you should still consider them in more detail in order to make an ideal choice for a specific site in certain climatic conditions. Among the popular today, we can distinguish the following:
- Crown – hybrid currant and gooseberry, bred in Sweden. Length of a standard escape to the Bush – 1.5 m Characteristic gooseberry without thorns. The leaves are small, shiny, without bright currant flavor. Each branch may contain several brushes with 5-7 berries. This hybrid is resistant to diseases and pests, therefore is in high demand among novice gardeners and gardeners.
- EMB is a variety bred on the territory of England. From the currant - kidney, color of the bark and leaves, lack of thorns; from gooseberry - the shape and aroma of the leaves. Often, the yoshts of this variety reach 2 m in height and about the same size in width. Berries EMB are more like gooseberries, both in taste and in appearance. The first fruits appear not earlier than 2 months after flowering shrubs. Specialists consider this variety to be unpretentious and drought-resistant.
- Lochaline – the perfect hybrid for cultivation in Russia. The variety is characterized by high productivity and resistance to adverse climatic conditions. The diameter of the shrub reaches 2 m, height – 1.5 m. the Undergrowth is quite dense, requires periodic thinning. The berries are relatively large, often – sweet. Adult berry Bush yoshta not subject to attacks of spider mites, anthracosis, etc.
- Josta rekst – sort of a hybrid of the gooseberry, which for many gardeners a real decoration of the gardening area. Shrub Rex is characterized by original design and high fertility. Berries usually tesnovato amber color with a pattern typical of gooseberries, and amazing sweet flavor.
Separately, isolate yoshty varieties for the Moscow region and the middle belt (Nizhny Novgorod and Nizhny Novgorod region) does not make sense. Virtually all of the above hybrids can be actively grown and propagated in a temperate climate.
More information and a description of how to grow a yosht shrub, how to care for it and how to buy, look in the video: