Celery: growing and most interesting varieties for open ground and greenhouses
A fragrant, delicious and healthy celery is grown on their private plots of many truck farmers. This is due to the relative unpretentiousness of the culture and the possibility of obtaining an impressive crop even on a small land plot.
When to plant celery, growing from seed seedlings
To collect a large amount of spicy root, you need to know exactly how and when to plant celery. Growing from seed is straightforward, but still requires adherence to certain rules.
- Celery seeds are very small, so they do not bury into soil. Too large a layer of soil prevents penetration of sufficient sunlight and decelerates the natural growth of shoots. Therefore, the planting material is just screened on top and slightly pressed to the ground with his hands.
- Containers with seedlings (individual cups or a common container) to accelerate germination, cover the plastic film with good light transmission capacity, or glass, and determine in a dry, warm ( 22-25°C) and a well-lit place.
- The soil is moistened regularly with a spray bottle or by applying water to the pan.
- After 10-14 days, when you hatch first sprouting, the seedlings are transferred to a cooler room and remove the film (or glass).
- After the sprouts appear 2-3 leaf seedlings dive into another container at a distance of 6-7 cm from each other or just thinned.
- In open ground the young shoots of celery planted in mid-or late may, regularly moderately watered and weed in the case of weeds.
What celery is better: a root, stem or stick
An unequivocal answer to the question of which celery is best: root, stem or petiolate, does not exist. Each gardener chooses for himself a more convenient to care and pleasant to taste type and variety. Professional farmers note only the fact that leaf celery grow slightly easier than all the rest. It is easier to transfer recurrent frosts and quickly rises even when directly sown in the soil. Therefore, it is recommended to cultivate it for novice gardeners and residents of regions with a cool and temperate climate.
Celery varieties for greenhouses and open ground
In this section, we collected universal varieties of celery for greenhouses and open ground. All of them are distinguished by high yield, resistance to drought and unsurpassed taste qualities.
- "Cheerfulness" – popular sheet grade average gestation period. In podrostkom state forms a powerful and strong outlet with a smooth, glossy, silnoroslye plates. The first green gives in 2 months after landing.
- "Samurai" is an exceptionally cold-hardy, high yielding variety with vertical curly foliage of a rich green color. Comes to maturity in 75-85 days after planting the seedlings in the ground.
- "Golden pen" – sturdy and strong grade stem with a slightly corrugated plates. Reaches a height of 50 centimeters. Wide yellow-green stalks to the end of the growing period, becoming a kind of Golden color, so called samoubiistva.
- "Malachite" – petiolate medium early variety with good yields of dark green succulent leaves and thick, elastic and fleshy stems. To full ripeness comes 4 months after sowing into the soil.
- – Resistant to diseases and pests root variety. At maturity it forms a spreading, loose rosette of dense leaves of an intense green color. Ripe root crops are round-flat shape and weigh an average of about 500 grams.
- "Giant Prague" – one of the best high-yielding and medium early varieties of root. Has a pleasant and delicate, slightly spicy taste and delicate aroma. The foliage forms an upright or slightly spreading beam of 22-24 leaves and grows up to 60 centimeters in height. The weight of Mature roots is 700-800 grams.
- "Apple" – the most precocious and bolesnici the root variety of celery. Forms a short, semi-spreading green shoots and rounded, slightly flattened on top of porous fruits with dense, white flesh weighing about 400 grams.
Root celery: planting, growing
How to cultivate on a personal plot of root celery without a beard (in the suburbs, Krasnodar Territory, Belarus, etc.), how to grow at home, how to sow in a "snail"? Planting seedlings, growing, breeding, features of varieties and other usefulness - all this the author highlights in great detail. In addition, he gives interesting advice to those who are first going to plant a spicy vegetable in his garden.