How to choose a monitor
Computer technology is developing very rapidly. Yesterday the monitors were the size heavy drawer, but today the thickness of a modern monitor does not exceed 10 mm. In our time, inexperienced in computer matters it's difficult to understand all the variety of monitors available on the market. How to choose the right monitor?
Start the selection of the monitor by choosing its type. There are two main types of monitors:
- CRT monitors (CRT – Cathode Ray Tube)
- LCD monitors (LCD – Liquid Crystal Display)
CRT monitors are implemented on the basis of a cathode-ray tube and have a kinescope similar to a television set. CRT monitors are now considered obsolete and on sale they are almost impossible to meet. The LCD monitor, in turn, is realized on the basis of a liquid crystal matrix and thanks to its minimal thickness has gained immense popularity. Due to the fact that CRT monitors are obsolete, we will consider only LCD monitors.
The first thing that almost everyone pays attention, is, of course, the diagonal size of the monitor. The modern market offers many different options, among which you can find monitors with a diagonal of 17 inches and a diagonal of 24 inches, and square, and wide angle.
How to determine the desired size of the diagonal of the monitor? In principle, the approach here is pretty simple. You need to consider for what purpose You take the monitor. For office work or work at home, enough square monitor with a diagonal 19 inches. But if You plan to watch movies on your computer, you can choose a bigger monitor – 22 "- 24 " in diagonal. However, remember that the larger the monitor, the greater must be the distance between You and the monitor when working with it.
However, the quality of the selected monitor depends not only on the size of its diagonal. Here are some important characteristics. determining the quality of the monitor:
- Type of matrix.TN (TN film) the oldest and cheapest of the available types of matrices. The main distinguishing feature of the matrices TN – fast response time. The lower the response time the faster the monitor reacts on changing image. This feature of the matrix TN will be especially useful if You choose a monitor for gaming. Matrix IPS different from TN innovations, but work much slower. The monitors with the matrix MVA/PVA have enhanced viewing angle and higher contrast ratio compared to TN or IPS-matrices, the colors are more saturated and bright, but the response time is inferior to the matrices from the previous two types. Therefore, these monitors are not suitable for dynamic games, but are suitable for drawing works.
- The frequency of updates. The refresh rate is the parameter responsible for frequency shifts of the screen image per second, measured in Hertz. The higher the rate, the more inconspicuous to human eyes, the change of the image and the eye so less tired. About low refresh rate as a flicker. With a sufficient refresh rate of modern monitors is the frequency 75-80 Hz for LCD monitors and 100 Hz for CRT monitors.
- Resolution. Monitor resolution – the option that describes how a detailed image can be obtained on the monitor. Simply put, this option responsible for the number and sizes of dots-pixels, which is the basis of the image on the screen. The smaller the size of the dots and the greater their number per unit area of the surface of the screen, the sharper and detailed the image on the monitor.
- Brightness/Contrast. The brightness of the monitor is the maximum possible white level in the center of the screen and contrast is the ability of a matrix of the monitor to provide a deep black color. The higher the values of these parameters, the better the monitor.
- The angle. In modern LCD monitors, the viewing angle is determined by the ability of the monitor without distortion to transmit the image when looking at the monitor from different angles. What's the viewing angle on vertical and horizontal above, the less distorted the image, if you look at it not directly but at an angle.
- Response time. The response time of the monitor is the time in which the matrix of the monitor changes color from white to black and Vice versa. The smaller this parameter is, the less “blurring” of the image when a dynamic change of images on the screen, for example, in a computer game. If You purchase a monitor for watching movies or gaming, then choose a model with a response time of not more than 8 MS (milliseconds).
- Connectors. Modern monitors usually support 2 type connectors: VGA and DVI. VGA out is intended for older video cards, the DVI connector is more modern. Other monitors can be equipped with an HDMI connector (High-Definition Multimedia Interface). This connector allows the monitor to transfer the digital video data of high resolution and multi-channel digital audio signals.
Depending on the tasks facing the monitor, when the purchase should also pay attention to additional features monitor. For example, the built-in TV tuner allows you to view on the computer shows. The monitor with built-in TV-tuner is suitable for your home computer, but for office version TV-tuner to anything. Built-in column Also, you can save on purchasing an additional sound system if you are not going to use your computer as a home theater.