20 Steps in the Art of Persuasion - How to Learn to Persuade Business Partners
20 ways to persuade people - the ability to persuade as the basis for success in business life
Not the stronger one who has great knowledge, but one who is able to persuade Is a well-known axiom. Being able to choose words, you own the world. The art of convincing is a whole science, but all its secrets have long been uncovered by psychologists in accessible, simple rules that any successful business person knows by heart.How to convince people - advice from specialists ...
- Control over the situation is impossible without a sober assessment of the situation. Assess the situation itself, the reaction of people, the possibility of the influence of strangers on the opinion of your interlocutor. Remember that the result of the dialogue should be beneficial for both sides.
- Mentally put yourself in the place of an interlocutor. Not trying to "get into the skin" of the opponent and not empathizing with him, it is impossible to influence the person. Feeling and understanding the opponent (with his desires, motives and dreams), you will find more opportunities for persuasion.
- The first and natural reaction of almost any person to external pressure is resistance. The stronger the "pressure" of persuasion, the stronger the person resists. The opponent can be eliminated by placing him to himself. For example, to joke on themselves, on the imperfection of their goods, thereby "lulling" the vigilance of a person - there is no point in looking for faults if you are listed. Another of the techniques is a sharp change of tone. From the official - to a simple, friendly, universal.
- Use in communication "creative" phrases and words - no denial and negativity. Wrong option: "if you buy our shampoo, your hair will stop falling out" or "if you do not buy our shampoo, you will not be able to appreciate its fantastic effectiveness." Correct version: "Return strength and health to hair. A new shampoo with a fantastic effect! ". Instead of the dubious word "if", use the convincing "when." Not "if we do ...", but "when we do ...".
- Do not impose your opinion on the opponent - give him the opportunity to think independently, but "highlight" the right path. Wrong option: "Without cooperation with us, you lose a lot of advantages." Correct option: "Cooperation with us is a mutually beneficial union". Wrong option: "Buy our shampoo and make sure it's effective!". The correct version: "The effectiveness of shampoo is proved by thousands of positive responses, multiple studies, the Ministry of Health, RAMS and others."
- Look for arguments to persuade an opponent beforehand, thinking through all possible branches of the dialogue. Arguments put forward in a calm and confident tone without emotional coloring, without haste and in detail.
- Encouraging an opponent, you must be sure of your point of view. Any of your doubts about the "truth" that you put forward are immediately "grasped" by a person, and your confidence is lost.
- Exclude from its lexicon the words "maybe", "probably" and other similar expressions - they do not add credibility to you. In the same garbage basket and words-parasites - "like", "shorter", "nuu", "eee", "in general", etc.
- Emotions are the main mistake. The winner is always self-assured and calm, and the narratively convincing, calm and quiet speech is much more effective than fervent enthusiasm and especially screaming.
- Do not let a man look away. Even if you are put in an uncomfortable position by an unexpected question, be sure of yourself and look at your opponent's eyes.
- Learn sign language. This will help you avoid mistakes and better understand the opponent.
- Never give in to provocation. In the belief of the opponent, you must be a "robot", which can not be pulled out of yourself. "Equilibrium, honesty and reliability" are the three "whales" of trust, even to an outsider.
- Always use facts - the best weapon of persuasion. Not "grandmother told" and "read on the Internet", but "there is official statistics ...", "I know by personal experience that ...", etc. As evidence, the most effective are witnesses, dates and figures, videos and photographs, opinions of famous people .
- Learn the art of convincing your children. The child knows that offering parents a choice, he will at least lose nothing and even gain: not "Mom, well, buy!", And "Mom, buy me a radio-controlled robot or at least a designer." Offering a choice (moreover, having prepared the conditions of choice in advance so that the person has made it correctly), you allow the opponent to think that he is the master of the situation. Proven fact: a person in rare cases says "no" if he is offered a choice (even if it is an illusion of choice).
- Convince your opponent of his exclusivity. Not vulgar open flattery, but the appearance of "recognized fact." For example, "Your company is known to us as a responsible company with a positive reputation and one of the leaders in this field of production." Or "We have heard about you as a man of duty and honor." Or, "We would like to work only with you, you are known as a man whose words never differ from the case."
- Focus on "secondary benefits". For example, "Cooperation with us is not only low prices for you, but also great prospects." Or "Our new kettle is not just a technological super-novelty, but your delicious tea and a pleasant evening with your family." Or "Our wedding will be so magnificent that even kings will envy." We focus, first of all, on the needs and characteristics of the audience or opponent. Based on them, and put emphasis.
- Do not allow neglect and arrogance in relation to the interlocutor. He should feel himself on the same level with you, even if in ordinary life you go around such people for a kilometer on your expensive car.
- Always start talking with the moments that can unite you with your opponent, and not divide. Immediately tuned to the right "wave" the interlocutor ceases to be an opponent and turns into an ally. And even if there are disagreements, you will not be able to answer "no" to him.
- Follow the principle of demonstrating the overall benefit. Every mother knows that the ideal way to get a child to go with her to the store is to say that they sell candy with toys at the checkout, or "suddenly remember" that big discounts were promised for his beloved cars this month. The same method, only in more complex execution, underlies business negotiations and contracts between ordinary people. Mutual benefit is the key to success.
- Arrange the person to yourself. Not only in personal relationships, but also in a business environment people are guided by sympathies / dislikes. If the interlocutor is unpleasant to you, or even completely disgusting (externally, in communication, etc.), then you will not have any business with him. Therefore one of the principles of persuasion is personal charm. It was given to someone from birth, and someone has to learn this art. Learn to emphasize your dignity and mask your shortcomings.
ATthe idea of the art of persuasion 1: