The pros and cons of the photographer – where to study and how to find a job?
Profession – photographer: how to become a professional photographer?
Photo has long been an important place in the life of each person. No event is complete without a "flash", in each computer there are folders with photos, in every house there are albums with the most beautiful family photos.
Of course, the photographer's path is thorny and not always successful, but if you are "born with a camera", then the only way is to go ahead!
The conditions and characteristics of the photographer – professional responsibilities
Modern photographers are classified not only in terms of professionalism (note - amateur and professional), but also in the field of activity, as well as in the genre of photography.
There are advertising, family and wedding photographers, forensic and documentary filmmakers, fashion photographers and photographers, "paparazzi", photographers and street photographers, etc.
Direction everyone chooses, according to their aspirations and needs.
The conditions of work of the photographer also depend on the chosen path:
- For example, when working in the normal Studio it will be a classic working week with a salary. Walking away is not necessary – the work is always at hand, sometimes there are prizes, a strong nervous tension there. As high income.
- Or "the free artist" . whose work can be seen at exhibitions, in magazines, etc. People have "earned" his name. Master, for a photo shoot which people are willing to pay a lot of money. How to create your own Studio from scratch and to promote a photo business — tips for beginners
- Or beginner, earning a summer at weddings, and in rare photo shoots.
Features the work of photographer
It seems, well, what's complicated here - I pressed the button, photographed it, threw it on the flash drive.
In fact, the work of the photographer is not as simple as one thinks ...
- The value of photographs in its quality, a winning perspective, the plot. Also important is the light, composition, processing. In General, the photographer should be not only experienced, but absolutely talented. Otherwise his work is just lost among millions of similar.
- Clients of the photographer can be so capricious . that it can be hard not only to get along with them, but to work.
- Must be able to work in any weather and in any conditions.
- Photography should not just be beautiful, colorful and interesting "audience" should feel even her tastes, hear the smells and sounds. It's craftsmanship of the highest level.
- Working abroad is dangerous. This activity in a number of countries could be construed as criminal. The reason "tax-free expensive activities" in the territory of another country. Penalty – a fine and deportation. This often happens in Thailand, Cuba.
- Regular flights . transportation in Luggage, poor working conditions and other extreme factors of the instrument has properties to deteriorate.
- Expensive equipment is often stolen. Moreover, not only when travelling abroad but also when working in the home country.
- On long journeys you have to take a duplicate key sets of items (consumables, cameras, lenses, etc.) to get away from the usual opportunities to quickly solve all arising technical problems.
- Guarantee the safety of shooting (which is extremely important for any photographer in any genre and in any field) is a duplicate of the recording on various media (cloud, hard drives, flash drives). That is, with a need to carry not only the laptop and the camera, and Network access needs to be permanent.
- The work of a professional photographer – it's often extremely busy schedule and constant stress. Because in addition to shooting those/preparation and the shooting itself, there is another way "there and back", the ordering of the material, its conversion, correction and treatment, communication is not always adequate customers, etc.
Bright portfolio the key to success in the modeling business!
The pros and cons of the profession photographer – if it is right for you?
One of the most important advantages of this profession is creative freedom. Only from you and your imagination depends on what kind of photo will be.
You can also note the following advantages:
- The choice of sphere of activity (journalism, art, fashion, forensics, etc.).
- The choice "schedule: full-time photographer or "by itself" with a free schedule.
- Self-actualization and creativity.
- The opportunity to earn good money.
- The opportunity to turn a hobby into a favorite work with an income.
Disadvantages of the profession:
- A lot of routine work (the lion's share of the work as a whole).
- The complexity of physical and psychological nature.
- Serious stress failures, criticism, customer, frustration.
- Fatigue and chronic lack of sleep.
- Good equipment costs money.
- The competition is very high and hard.
Professional skills and qualities necessary for a successful working photographer
One of the main qualities you should possess professional is patience. Without it it is impossible to work with people (everyone is different), to carry out the tedious part of the job, to remove restless children and animals, etc.
Also important are the following qualities:
- Rich imagination, creativity and sense of humor.
- Creativity and interpersonal skills.
- Kindness and diplomacy.
- Sense of style and tact.
- Quick response.
- Punctuality and responsibility.
What skills should a photographer?
First of all, he must be at the same time a psychologist, a salesman, a retoucher, an artist and a director, as well as a manager, a stylist, etc.
- The basics of photography and fotooptik, composition, exposure, focus, etc.
- The basics of processing images.
- The basics of psychology and business communication.
- The basics of photoshop and other programs for processing photos, as well as the basics of working with PC's in General.
- The basics of working with light, perspective, foreshortening, etc.
- Properties and possibilities of photographic equipment and lighting.
- In fact, all the knowledge that can be useful to the photographer, has long been present in countless textbooks published and peristalsis.
Also the photographer "needed":
- Normal visual acuity.
- The accuracy of the planar and linear eye.
- Kinesthetic sensitivity "level".
It is worth remembering and contraindications!
- Not recommended such work for people with problems...
- The organs of vision.
Salary of a photographer in Russia and the opportunities for career growth
The income of this specialist directly depends, both on the level of his professionalism, and on the place of work.
- Photographer in any company: 8-hour working day, salary 15000-40000 R.
- Photographer under the scheme "payment for output" in the company. Salary – 500 to 1,000 R/hour. A month – about 30000-40000 R.
- Selling images for print media. Income depends on the number of orders.
- Shooting in parks, recreational areas, clubs and selling works on posters, magnets, etc. Income depends on the location and season.
- Photostocks. On such resources you can sell your photos very successfully (for 100-800 $ for 1 piece). However, the time will go a lot, you have to risk your money, but you also need to constantly "be in trend".
- Own business. Income is unstable, but creative work and on himself.
- Photographing (approx. – weddings, corporate events, etc.). Income is not stable, but good.
The more the photographer of regular customers, the higher his income. Fees individual artists can reach 200000 R.
How are things going with the career?
- Here the choices are not so much, but they are:
- The head of the Studio.
- Own business and own brand.
Where to study to become a photographer – all the opportunities, job training
To any person this profession is available.
And, it is not necessary to complete College literature and special courses today. Every aspiring beginner fully able to study all the features of the photos and continue to hone skills.
But still to get to a professional level "little blood" it is easier after training in special Studio or photo school famous photographers.
The most popular:
- School of photography and multimedia. Alexander Rodchenko (approx. – Moscow).
- The Academy of photography (approx. – Moscow).
- The Academy of photography (approx. – SPb).
- School of creative photography Kulikov (approx. — Nizhny Novgorod)
- School of photography Xenia Transfiguration (approx. — Chelyabinsk).
Useful books for future photographers
- S. Kelby "Digital photography". Considered to be the bestseller among professionals and beginners. No "abstruse", professional jargon, etc. are Simple examples, a comprehensive guide, step-by-step description.
- Lapin's "Photography as...". In addition to the core recommendations, there is a shooting technique with expert commentary. Book for photographers of any level.
- 3. Cleghorn "Portrait photography". Here for you – work with flash and the nuances of lighting, psychology and technique, mood, etc. of Table allowance, which will help to look at the profession they have chosen new look.
- L. Dyko "Conversations about...". The book is rich with well-structured material and its presentation in the form of dialogue with the reader. A masterpiece from the 70's is still relevant, detailed and thorough.
- El. Makueni, "Complete photography course". Table guide to the world of photography for beginners.
- N. Birzakov "Digital photo". Thrice reprinted manual with video lessons on DVD. Designed for beginners and professionals.
- Lee frost's "Panoramic photography" a "Night and evening shooting."
Useful websites for prospective photographers:
- Takefoto.ru: reviews, advice.
- Prophotos.ru. topical news section for beginners, useful articles, etc.
- Photo-element.ru. useful articles.
- Photoindustria.ru. a lot of "tasty" for photographers (articles, tutorials).
- Fototips.ru. beginner's guide to.
- Photogeek.ru. tips for any occasion photos of life.
- Fotogora.ru. tips-instructions.
- Photoword.ru. the choice of subject and angle, photography clubs, organization of photography "pin-up" and so forth.
- Fotogu.ru. information about how to "make nice".
- Photoline.ru. theory in articles and books.
- Photo-monster.ru. video tutorials for different skill levels.
- Macroclub.ru. for fans of macro shooting.
- Toto-school.ru. how to overcome technical difficulties in the life of a photographer.
- 8020photo.com. interesting blog for those seeking "the light".
- Photosay.ru. the most sacred of photos.
- The Website Vasily Andreyev. articles for masters and beginners.
- Fashionbank.ru. meeting place for photographers with their future models. Looking for a good person? You are here.
- Zimfor.ru. With this virtual camera you will quickly figure out with shutter speed, with aperture, etc.
Looking for work as a photographer from scratch – you really get a job without experience?
Even a novice "photographer" in our time will not remain without money.
You can be free a freelance photographer, to execute individual orders in the field or in the Studio.
And you can get...
- In the publishing house or in the media.
- In the Studio or at a shop.
- A modeling Agency or laboratory.
- Try yourself in the advertising business, etc.
Where to begin?
- Buy all the necessary equipment. Do not skimp – you are invested in their perspectives.
- After teaching you the necessary skills and experience. Find the opportunity to work as an assistant specialist.
- Consider all possible options "to start".
- Don't miss a single opportunity to gain experience, which is always priceless!
- Send your work to Newspapers and magazines, create a private portfolio website, a "light" wherever you can Shine – let will remember you. Secrets of a successful job search — where to look and who will help?
- Let advertising their services on the Internet and the media, in social networks.
- Don't forget about individual photo shoots.
- Use to promote (and earn) photoshots. Look for opportunities for your own photo exhibition.
Yes, competition in this area is tough. But your advantage is in your talent.
Search for your style and do not turn out of the way!